Saturday, June 16, 2007

POPPIES, BOLD AND BRIGHT


My last post was soft and ethereal...but not today. Yesterday I got some additional Prismacolor pencils from Dick Blick, and last night I started to play. I've had this idea lurking in my mind...and now it is on paper. The stamp is by Stampendous. I started by making a mask of the image and then stamped it on to SU Whisper White--I know that this may be hard to believe. I then carefully moved the mask to stamp on multiple images.

Then I began to color! My favorite part...starting from light to dark and using techniques from Susan Lockhart. There are so many shades of pinks to reds for the red poppies; yellows, pinks, and oranges for the coral ones; and a lots of yellows to get great shades of yellow. The white poppies were colored on and shaded with a light touch of cool gray. The colorless blender smoothed and blended all the colors on the images. Several shades of black, navy blue and finally my Tria Panatone markers in black created a unified background. I removed all excess white paper using my paper snips very closely around the image.
Then I layered on papers and ribbons.

Papers are SU Real Red, Basic Black, the tiny dot is from JoAnn's (Hot Off the Press). Ribbons: the green is from Hobby Lobby and the Polka Dot is May Arts from our company, Flourishes, LLC.

Now baby, That's Bold and Bright!

3 comments:

NancyK said...

Just gorgeous girl!! THe coloring is so beautiful!!

Jan Scholl said...

I saw this last night before I wen tot bed and saved it to see int he ay light. It almost looks as if the edges of the flowers shimmer with gold. DId you emboss this in clear detail or just stamp in black? Stunning!

flourishes said...

Hi Jan, I just stamped in black and after cutting the image out I edged the white edge again with my black marker. No emossing, no clear glaze stardust pen on this one. So glad you liked it!