Thursday, June 21, 2007

Restraint Experienced















Painting by Amy Ross





Let me say this was an experiment and it took a couple of tries, but I am pleased with results.
I recently saw the painting above by artist Amy Ross. She had painted a cone flower. The center of the flower looked normal but on second glimpse a small bird's beak was seen. How clever is that! What first drew me to the image was the wonderful tones of white, tan and greyed greens that you see in her painting.

So this is what I set out to achieve. I settled on SU Very Vanilla cardstock and stamped the image very lightly in Barely Banana. I used a combination of Copic and Tria (Panatone) alcohol markers. The alcohol markers flow so beautifully, never leaving the tell tale over strikes of color. The Copic colorless blender pen is the finishing touch . I very carefully choose the colors and they were more numerous that you would believe. The second layer of the card is SU Mellow moss and the sentiment is also SU stamped in Palette Noir ink.

So how close did I come? Amy Ross- I am not, but oh, she is an inspiration!

Note on Amy Ross: She is a well published artist with a wealth of Biblical training. Most of the animals she works into her art are from the Bible. A google search is well worth a look. You will truly be amazed at her work.

4 comments:

flourishes said...

I would love to hear your comments on this card.

NancyK said...

An absolutely stunning card and seeing the art that was the inspiration for it is great. I often wonder how people get their ideas - you've showed us a great artist.
TFS

Mrs. Nancy G said...

I think it's very beautiful and that you achieved the look you were aiming for. Another stunning creation!
Smiles,
NG.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your card is just so very lovely -- love all the soft neutral tones used!!! And that painting is totally amazing!!! I never would have noticed the birds heads had I not read it in your text -- Oh My!!! It makes those flowers all the more beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!